The Public Health Department recalls the safety advice to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning in very cold weather
Faced with the severe cold during the winter months, the Health Department of the Integrated Health and Social Services Center (CISSS) of the Laurentians, is reminding all the residents about the public safety advice related to the use of fireplaces, stoves or heating systems
Take a look at the
featured Local Savings
at the bottom of this page!
supplements to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
Heating systems and ashes can give off carbon monoxide. If you use a fireplace, a wood stove or a supplemental heating system, make sure the room is well ventilated to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.
It is important that your devices are cleaned regularly and are in good condition. When you remove the ashes, it is essential to put them in outside in a metal container with a raised bottom and fitted with a metal lid.
This toxic, invisible and odorless gas can cause permanent damage or even death. Only one
carbon monoxide detector can alert you to the presence of this gas. It is therefore important to
provide one, preferably one that remains functional during a power outage. Remember that a smoke detector does not detect carbon monoxide.
For more information and general prevention recommendations, visit Quebec.ca in the sections: Preventing carbon monoxide poisoning and Winter storms and extreme cold.
Solidarity with regard to homelessness
In addition, people who are homeless or in a state of great vulnerability are particularly
at risk in extreme cold. Out of social solidarity, The CISSS des Laurentides is inviting everyone to encourage these people to contact community organizations to access resources. In addition, line 811, available 24/7, can also inform them. Citizens should not hesitate to contact 911 if someone seems to be in difficulty.