A senior’s residence had to be completely evacuated Saturday morning in Sainte-Thérèse, in the Laurentians, after a carbon monoxide leak.

A senior’s residence had to be completely evacuated Saturday morning in Sainte-Thérèse, in the Laurentians, after a carbon monoxide leak.

In all, 51 residents with reduced mobility and ten employees of the Manoir Joie de vivre had to be taken care of around 9:30 am by the police and firefighters.

After ten minutes outside, the evacuees were able to wait inside the Saint-Gabriel school gymnasium, located just in front of the residence.

The Fire Department of the City of Sainte-Thérèse said that a person who lives in the residence had to be hospitalized “for evaluation” during the operation.

This ultimately lasted a little over four hours. At the start of the afternoon, Énergir’s teams were able to resolve the problem that stemmed from a fault in the heating system.

A little before 2:30 p.m., everyone was able to return to their room, added the firefighters.

They wanted to thank the paramedics who sent one of their assistance dogs to the scene to provide psychological support to residents during the wait.